[Development] Dropping older compilers for Qt 5.10 (was: Qt 5.10 pre-built bunaries)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 9 22:55:02 CEST 2017

On Friday, 9 June 2017 13:46:42 PDT Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> > ===>
> > I move we drop MSVC 2013, MSVC 2015 RTM and Updates 1 & 2 (Update 3 is the
> > current version and is fine).
>
> So, what's your take on gcc versions? You seemed hesitant to drop
> support for QNX 6
> here:
> http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2017-June/030113.html Are
> you suggesting we drop support for the MSVC versions you mentioned, but
> keep GCC 4.7 support?

Yes.

Let's leave GCC 4.7 as a requirement for now. For once, GCC will be the lowest
common denominator we need to support (due to QNX). That will also allow us to
judge how much pain we are willing to accept for that old compiler. We may
want to drop it for 5.11.

Definitely for Qt 6 I'd like to be able to claim full C++11 core language
requirement (modulo bugs - see my other reply to myself).