[Development] Let's please drop MSVC 2013 for 5.10

Henry Skoglund fromqt at tungware.se
Fri Jun 16 22:10:10 CEST 2017

On 2017-06-16 21:52, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday, 16 June 2017 11:14:20 PDT André Pönitz wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 04:07:03PM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>>> character set. Without the /utf-8 option added in MSVC 2015 Update 2, the
>>> conversion fails and the compiler prints:
>>>
>>> warning C4566: character represented by universal-character-name '\u0431'
>>> cannot be represented in the current code page (1252)
>>>
>>> [ok, not a C++11 issue per se, but we still want to use Unicode source
>>> code]
>> There was never *consensus* on using something outside plain ASCII in
>> Qt sources.
>>
>> This is predicted, self-inflicted pain.
>
> Right, we've had to live with ASCII-only sources for the last 25 years. We
> could wait a little longer.
>
> I just don't want to!
>
> Here's a tricky question: how do you create a QStringLiteral with non-ASCII
> characters that will work on all our supported compilers?

That question reminds me of the discussion last August
http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2016-August/023882.html
about Unicode code points in MSVC and how to fix so that
tr("Coördinaat") or tr("Co\u00F6rdinaat"); worked with old MSVC compilers.

My workaround: use raw UTF8 hex bytes: tr("Co\xC3\xB6rdinaat");

I think using that stunt should allow you to encode any non-ASCII
characters inside a QStringLiteral with any compiler that supports "\x..."

Rgrds Henry