[Development] Let's please drop MSVC 2013 for 5.10

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 23 19:50:48 CEST 2017

On Friday, 23 June 2017 09:17:55 PDT Marc Mutz wrote:
> The above argument makes no sense to me. What value does quoting
> download numbers for 5.9, an LTS, have, to argue about dropping the
> compiler from 5.10. Ever since we provide LTSs (yes, once), we drop
> compilers in the version _after_ the LTS, which is kind of the natural
> point to drop stuff.

The point is that in June 2017, 30% of the Windows downloads were for MSVC
2013. it doesn't matter that this is an LTS release or not: way too many
people are using that compiler. We need to "wean" them off 2013, so I'm
starting a note in the 5.9.1 changelog that it will be gone in 5.11 (one year
advance notice):

https://codereview.qt-project.org/198430