[Development] right-to-left mode on Mac

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 10:28:52 CEST 2017

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Ah, sorry, my bad. The information is in the .qm file, but not in the .ts one.

And there are none of those in qttranslations (5.8.0) itself which explains why
I didn't see it.

> The array is right above. As I said, I'd like to move that from stored in the
> .qm file to stored in QtCore.

That makes sense, I don't think it'll be a huge additional resource.

> Command is ⌘. That's U+2318 "PLACE OF INTEREST SIGN" and is Unicode category
> So (Symbol, other). Its direction is ON (other, neutral)

Ew, yes. I need to dust off my memory...
- the filled apple symbol was never used on a Mac keyboard (according to Google
Images at least)
- legacy keyboards had both the current clover-like symbol and an outline apple
symbol on the command key (e.g. http://www.geektechnique.org/images/854.jpg). I
think we can presume that the former was chosen to indicate a "key of interest",
(or else as a rare gesture to 3rd party keyboard makers to label the key without
having to pay licensing 8-))

I still tend to think of the Command key as "the Apple key". What I do remember
correctly is that I've never known how to generate the outline apple symbol on a
keyboard - it might not even have a Unicode representation.

Either way, I've been using it to represent Command-? shortcuts for ages, and
it's only now that I realise that hasn't been appropriate for most of that
time...

>  is U+F8FF, category Co (Other, private use) and hence has no name. That's
> probably why I see it as a bold, small "t" in parentheses and you see
> something else. Its direction is L.

I see it as a small, solid Apple logo, complete with the bite mark. The reason
you see something else might simply be because your font doesn't have the glyph.
I'm seeing it just fine on Linux, but I'm using a Monaco TTF font borrowed from
OS X.

> There's a huge difference in the text flow which one you choose. See
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-directional_text

Undoubtedly, but that's moot here. As posted earlier it was trivial to get the
shortcut mnemonics displayed correctly by using the L2R override character.