[Development] Focusing bug fixes to 5.9 branch and patch releases during H1/17

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Wed Mar 1 15:15:15 CET 2017

> So let me play the devil's advocate: 5.9.1 also will be canceled for
> similar arbitrary reasons like vacation plans.

or the universe might end for no readily apparent reason.
There is no reason to expect either will happen, though.

> Guys, by not delivering bugfix releases for arbitrary reasons we are
> risking to kill Qt's credibility as reliable toolkit. Our users trust in
> getting bugfix releases.

I think it's been made abundantly clear that
* there are concrete practical non-arbitrary reasons in this case,
* we have a clear plan for how to fix the causes,
* there is a clear intent to not skip further releases.

This is a one-off caused by problems we do anticipate resolving;
and skipping 5.8.1 is how we'll buy the time to resolve them,

	Eddy.