[Development] syncqt.pl in C++

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Tue Mar 7 20:12:24 CET 2017

Hi,

Thiago's right that there has not been a formal decision in the Qt project about the build system to use for Qt 6. So saying qbs will be the build system for Qt 6 is getting a bit ahead of things.

But we have had many discussions in the past as well, where the result was that the people maintaining the Qt build system would like to see us using qbs instead of qmake as the Qt build system in the future. This never lead anywhere, as this would have required quite some work to implement the functionality required in qbs.

The Qt Company has now very recently made a decision to now go and invest the man power required to turn qbs into a product we can fully support in the future. This decision comes from the fact that we see that build systems are a very integral part of the developer experience, and it's one of the areas where we see that there still is a large potential for improvement. qbs is promising to bring that improvement to us and our users.

This also makes qbs a natural choice to also use for Qt itself, and I believe all the people that have worked and maintained Qt's build system over the last few years are supporting this. Of course this requires that we can show that qbs can be used to build Qt.

Cheers,
Lars

On 7 Mar 2017, at 17:47, Wolfgang Baron <wolfgang.baron at gmx.net<mailto:wolfgang.baron at gmx.net>> wrote:

On 7 Mar 2017, at 08:11, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com><mailto:thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> There has been no discussion of qbs. Therefore, there is no
> decision on what to use for Qt 6. It might be cmake or qmake.

Then please start that discussion now. Qbs is a secret weapon for all developers trying to do test driven development but fighting long turn around times in large projects. However, the lack of inside determination to feature Qbs as the primary make system has stalled the acceptance and development of Qbs. Qbs is a great improvement but lacks appropriate documentation, context sensitive help and first class support in Qt-Creator (yes, and there may a little bug here or there). An official statement by the Qt Company would greatly improve the willingness of the developer community to use and improve Qbs.

Please make that decision ASAP, so we can all enjoy the best make system ever soon!

Kind regards,

Wolfgang