[Development] syncqt.pl in C++

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Tue Mar 7 22:21:35 CET 2017

> On 7 Mar 2017, at 21:54, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Em terça-feira, 7 de março de 2017, às 21:37:46 CET, Richard Moore escreveu:
>>> The Qt Company has now very recently made a decision to now go and invest
>>> the man power required to turn qbs into a product we can fully support in
>>> the future. This decision comes from the fact that we see that build
>>> systems are a very integral part of the developer experience, and it's one
>>> of the areas where we see that there still is a large potential for
>>> improvement. qbs is promising to bring that improvement to us and our
>>> users.
>> ​Pretty depressing since the discussions at the developer summit seemed to
>> conclude the exact opposite.​ I wish those developers were working on
>> something more useful than a new wheel.

The discussions there were afai remember inconclusive. But the people that do the actual work on the build system were mostly positive towards qbs.

> Same here, though I have also to concede that breaking the status quo (to
> quote Jake's tweet) is sometimes a good idea. Teambuilder -- to name another
> Trolltech project that had nothing to do with qt -- was a couple of orders of
> magnitude better than the tools that existed at the time (distcc). Icecream/
> icecc came about only because TB wasn't open source, but every now and then I
> miss TB2 features that icecc doesn't have. TB3 would have been even better.
>
> Maybe qbs will be another such leapfrog. I can't fault TQtC for trying.

That's what we believe.

When we did the first version of Creator, everybody also thought we were nuts, and that we should rather integrate with Eclipse ;-)

Cheers,
Lars