[Development] syncqt.pl in C++

Jake Petroules Jake.Petroules at qt.io
Wed Mar 8 21:23:58 CET 2017

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 12:15 PM, Sune Vuorela <nospam at vuorela.dk> wrote:
>
> On 2017-03-08, Jake Petroules <Jake.Petroules at qt.io> wrote:
>> I'm working on the qbs bootstrapping. The requirements will be: a C++11 com=
>> piler. End of requirements. Seriously. Not even bash, if you don't mind typ=
>> ing a couple commands manually.
>
> I don't mind a bat script, a bash script or whatever is needed, but
> that sounds great.
>>
>> Qt could then include a tiny bootstrap script which downloads and bootstrap=
>> s qbs, then builds Qt (but the normal use case would be that you already ha=
>> ve qbs installed).
>
> I really think that building Qt  in the normal usecase would not involve
> using Qt libraries. And a normal build setup should not touch the
> network at all.

In general I agree. If Qt was built with CMake, you wouldn't expect the Qt build scripts to obtain and bootstrap CMake itself. So I think that if it does so for qbs, you're already "getting more than you deserve". ;)

The general idea is kind of following that of the Gradle wrapper, where any project that uses the Gradle build system also can include a standard wrapper script which obtains and bootstraps the build system itself before building your project, allowing ANY project based on that build system to be "zero dependencies". git clone & go, the system figures out the rest as much as it can. If qbs has similar capabilities like that, including online dependency fetching, I think a lot of people would appreciate it.

Personally, I also prefer a build process never touch the network, but the average developer isn't that picky and just wants to Get Things Done.