[Development] syncqt.pl in C++

Jake Petroules Jake.Petroules at qt.io
Thu Mar 9 19:01:44 CET 2017

> On Mar 9, 2017, at 2:47 AM, Mathias Hasselmann <mathias.hasselmann at kdab.com> wrote:
>

> Am 08.03.2017 um 21:23 schrieb Jake Petroules:
>> The general idea is kind of following that of the Gradle wrapper,
>> where any project that uses the Gradle build system also can include
>> a standard wrapper script which obtains and bootstraps the build
>> system itself before building your project, allowing ANY project
>> based on that build system to be "zero dependencies". git clone & go,
>> the system figures out the rest as much as it can. If qbs has similar
>> capabilities like that, including online dependency fetching, I think
>> a lot of people would appreciate it.
>
> Did you do any user research backing this claim, or is this a plain gut feeling?

CocoaPods is quite well loved by the Apple development community, which operates on the same principle as Gradle in that regard (personally I'd always source control the retrieved dependencies).

Google also has internal tooling that utilizes online shared caches in order to build the massive projects that they have.

> I know for a fact that Gradle and it's downloading features actually cause serious problems for some of our customers who sit behind restrictive firewalls and have to use complex proxy setups to
> reach the Internet. They basically have to circumvent countless company policies just to bootstrap Gradle.
>
> Besides I somehow doubt that it is even remotely reasonable to mimic a
> build system that weights 225 MiB in size. Tools should know their task and focus on that. No need for a kitchen sink.

This would be an optional feature that you would by no means be required to use. Mobile developers will definitely want it though.

Don't worry, Qt will never require network access to build.