[Development] QUIP 0: one QUIP to index them all and from the web-site link them

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Wed Mar 15 18:14:39 CET 2017

Hi all,

Back in November we had ample discussion of QUIPs, then went off to
review several of them, leaving this list quiet.  There are now several
approaching readiness [0], slightly hampered by the original promulgator
of the idea going elsewhere.  The foundations are the scripts to turn
QUIPs into web pages and the first few QUIPs.  Go take a look.

[0] https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/q/status:open+project:meta/quips,n,z

One current blocker on several QUIPs is finding when they were first
mentioned on this mailing list - the date of which should go into the
Post-History header.  If you know the dates your favourite QUIP got
mentioned on the list, you could go to its review and answer my comment
on the lack of a Post-History with those dates (in ISO date format).  If
your pet QUIP hasn't actually *been* mentioned on this mailing list, I
encourage you to do so forthwith.

In particular, I don't see any mention before now of "QUIP 0", the index
page for the QUIPs, which shall be generated by a script but converted
to a web page by the same script as acts on QUIPs, so needs a
Post-History date - to which end I herewith give notice that this
"meta-QUIP" shall indeed exist (so that I can use today's date in that
field).  It just lists the real QUIPs and is generated by
scripts/gen-quip-0000.py (whose revision history shall be used for its
Version and Last-Modified headers), which can be found in [1].  The
script is only 63 lines of python, so shouldn't be too scary to read.

[1] https://codereview.qt-project.org/177657

We still lack a permanent home in which to host the generated HTML form
of QUIPs; and we need someone competent at web-design to deal with the
HTML/JavaScript/CSS template for it all.  Volunteers welcome.  See
QTQAINFRA-1173 for notes on progress or [1] for the on-going review.

	Eddy.