[Development] Use of std::function in Qt API

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 18:23:55 CET 2017

On 2017-03-14 13:33, André Pönitz wrote:
> In general, I am not overly sold on ABI compatibility promises. I personally
> could live without and find SC of more practical value. The most important
> "feature" of ABI compatibility guarantee for me is that it limits people from
> doing overly excessive source-incompatible changes.

Distros are likely to care; a Qt BC break requires a mass rebuild of
everything that uses Qt (which translates into lots of users needing to
update lots of packages when Qt changes). Distros may refuse to update
Qt within a distro release as a result, which means users are stuck with
older Qt for longer.

All that more or less already applies to the standard library however
(probably most distros don't accept a standard library BC break without
a mass rebuild anyway), so Qt insulating against BC breaks in the
standard library is maybe less necessary.

--
Matthew