[Development] Use of std::function in Qt API

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Fri Mar 17 10:43:05 CET 2017

On Thu, 2017-03-16 at 13:23 -0400, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 2017-03-14 13:33, André Pönitz wrote:
> > In general, I am not overly sold on ABI compatibility promises. I personally
> > could live without and find SC of more practical value. The most important
> > "feature" of ABI compatibility guarantee for me is that it limits people
> > from
> > doing overly excessive source-incompatible changes.
>
> Distros are likely to care; a Qt BC break requires a mass rebuild of
> everything that uses Qt (which translates into lots of users needing to
> update lots of packages when Qt changes). Distros may refuse to update
> Qt within a distro release as a result, which means users are stuck with
> older Qt for longer.

I think this is not a real issue:

A distribution will not update the standard c++ library within a distro release.
 Neither will a distribution upgrade Qt minor versions within a distro release.

I do not expect patch version upgrades of Qt to introduce BC issues with or
without it relying on std::functionality.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B