[Development] QList

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Mon Mar 20 14:52:40 CET 2017

On Monday 20 March 2017 14:25:56 Martin Smith wrote:
> >It's not the application developer's task to avoid the death by a
> >thousands Qt
> >
> >paper cuts. It's Qt's job.
>
> Ok, but I'm the customer, and I am always right. I want my application that
> uses QList to continue to run in Qt 6 with QList just like it did in Qt 5.
> If it speeds up or slows down or uses more memory or less, I don't care as
> long as it still passes my old requirements.
>

> What is your solution?

I have answered that question five years ago[1]:

If your interests are against the common good, you should pay the prize, not
expect it to be communitised.

So, e.g.: Pay twice the fees to use a compatibility QList until Qt 7 or pay
the normal price and port, possibly with an automated tool a la clang-
modermize.

[1] https://marcmutz.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/c98-support-costs-extra/

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts