[Development] QList

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 21 01:45:53 CET 2017

Martin Smith wrote:
> Aside: I'm from that bygone era long before Qt, when a "list" in computer
> programming always meant linked list. A sequence of contiguous data
> entries was an array. There were no exceptions. So even now, after using
> QList for more than a decade, I still forget that it's not a linked list.

This assumption was already not true with Java 1.2, released December 8,
1998. That release introduced java.util.List as a generic interface to ANY
list, including ArrayList. QList was introduced with Qt 4, released June 28,
2005. So it is unfair to blame Qt for not following the obsolete terminology
you mention.

        Kevin Kofler