[Development] QList

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Wed Mar 22 09:27:54 CET 2017

On Wednesday 22 March 2017 07:37:27 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Another thing I'd want is for QStringView to carry the pointer to the
> QArrayData like QString does.

NAK to inheriting from QStringView, publicly or privately. NAK to adding
another pointer.

If you need a base class for your Q6String, use QStringRef. It's already got
what you want: tight coupling with QString. QStringView will not be that base
class. QStringView will model whatever std::string_view models. Anything that
pessimises QStringView as a wrapper around a char16_t literal is not
acceptable.

I understand that you sit on a pile of finished changes to QString just
waiting for Qt 6 to come around. And I welcome it (I think, we'll see when you
upload some of it to Gerrit). But leave QStringView out of it.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts