[Development] P0 Mac help needed due to Daylight savings

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Mon Mar 27 10:57:24 CEST 2017

Thiago Macieira (26 mars 2017 8:12 PM)
>> This test began failing today:

>> FAIL!  : tst_QLocale::macDefaultLocale() 'timeString.contains(expectedGMTSpecifier) || timeString.contains(expectedGMTSpecifierZeroExtended)' returned FALSE.
>> (timeString `1:02:03 AM GMT+02:00', expectedGMTSpecifier `GMT+3' or `GMT+03')

>> The expectation is correct, since Finland is now in Summer time at GMT+3.
>> Someone on a Mac, please check why it's getting GMT+02.

Rolland Dudemaine (27 March 2017 07:03)
> Daylight savings are not done at midnight, but at 2am. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Well, 3am in fact.  Hover [0]'s "DST started" box.
[0] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/finland/helsinki
Not that it makes a difference here.

> Seems like Mac is correct, and the test should not fail.

Indeed, at 1:2:3 that morning, DST had not yet started.
Why did the test expect +3 ?
... /me takes a look ...

It uses current time and works out the DST offset at it.
Then it builds locale.toString(QTime(1, 2, 3), QLocale::LongFormat)
and expects that to have the same offset. This is the bug, in the test.
I infer that it passes now and fails two Sundays (less a few hours) per
year.  If we changed it to use QTime(10, 9, 8) it would only fail for a
few hours on each of those two Sundays.

Or we could use QDateTime(today, QTime(1, 2, 3)) instead of current time
to compute the offset.  That would avoid any fails.

Might I just take this moment to suggest someone review my many (many)
changes to date-time and time-zone code, some of which have languished
for more than a year ?  I hadn't caught this one, but some of them fix
this kind of "that one day (or two) each year it's a problem" bug.
... and those are bugs in the code, not the test,

	Eddy.