[Development] QList

Rafael Roquetto rafael.roquetto at kdab.com
Tue Mar 28 00:18:18 CEST 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:47:36AM +0000, Martin Smith wrote:
> > I'm not even counting the argument from authority when
> >CS/Math were brought to the table without an invitation
>

> I will keep bringing them to the table because, as a documentation guy following this and other similar discussions, it looks like you (plural) are willing to ignore the importance of naming things in the API because of technical problems with implementations in C++.

I would like to just highlight the a informal fallacy of redefinition I have seen in this thread.
Some people are talking apples + oranges here.
A lot of people who speak C will use the word vector interchangeably with the
word 'array'. You don't need to go much farther: in C++, without further
context, a vector clearly means std::vector (but could still mean the same as
an array, or even QVector, depending on the context). It clearly has nothing
to do anymore with the vector from my geometry classes. I don't know why it received
the named 'vector' in first place, but I am willing to bet this is the
derivation that some people in linguistics call a 'dead metaphor' (except that
the original vector is still alive). It happens all the time in the evolution
of languages. A good example by Guy Deutscher:

"“Thrill”

“Goes back to an old English verb “thryllian” which originally meant pierce.

The current sense of “thrill” must have started out as a metaphor with some
shock value: “I’m thrilled to bits” must have been a graphic equivalent of
today’s “it’s killing”."

Just my two cents.