[Development] QtWebKit is coming back (part 2)

Sergio Martins sergio.martins at kdab.com
Wed May 3 16:25:42 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-03 15:02, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> Remaining question is versioning. While it's fine to dub current
> release "5.9" (but not 5.0, because we will have another WebKit update
> in 5.10 time frame), using Qt versions in QtWebKit has downsides:
>
> 1. It is not clear if 5.N+1 ships with the same WebKit branch as 5.N,
> or is updated
> 2. It makes people believe that QtWebKit 5.N should be used with Qt
> 5.N only. QtWebKit supports wide range of Qt versions (starting from
> 5.2 as of now), and can be used e.g. as security update in Linux
> distro that does not normally update Qt version during its life cycle.
>
> Any comments?

If Qt and QtWebKit will have different release schedules then that
numbering would indeed confuse people.

Have you thought about an LTS version too ? What would LTS mean, for
QtWebKit ? I think during the LTS lifetime we would still need to update
the inner WebKit, for security reasons, (that even happened for
QtWebEngine in a 5.6.x patch release).

Thanks for your efforts on this!

Regards,
--
SĂ©rgio Martins | sergio.martins at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)