[Development] DBus signals for (dlclose'd) style plugin causing crash during application exit?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 5 10:47:53 CEST 2017

Thiago Macieira wrote:

>> Indeed. Does it even need to link to QtDbus then?
>
> It links to QtBootstrapDBus.

That looks like an internal library which itself links to QtDBus, right?

Some more thoughts how to work around this:
- include only those required bits and pieces into QtBootstrapDBus rather than
linking to QtDBus. If the connection-related code isn't required maybe the issue
goes away when that code is removed.
- do a bogus DBus connect (on ARM) or at least call
QtDBusConnection::sessionBus() so there is something to clean up.

The most "just" approach might be something like this:
- find a way to deactivate the patch on ARM and wait until an ARM user complains
about the issue it fixes. It could be just as unlikely that someone will run into
the original issue on ARM as someone running into the build issue because of the
patch.
If we assume that there is now enough indication that the patch is required on
Intel; with this approach you wouldn't be withholding it because of a potential
issue on ARM.

I'll try to figure out if the Debian QtCurve package maintainer(s) know whether
they ever encountered the original crash-on-exit on ARM.

Something else:

> I think our ARM builds are little-endian, so endianness cannot be an issue.

My bad, I extrapolated from my Mac/PPC experience that ARM was big-endian and
learned only now it is bi-endian (a 1-letter difference with big consequences
:)).

R.