[Development] abi breakage for qtwebengine libraries in 5.9

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon May 8 09:03:27 CEST 2017

On Sunday, 7 May 2017 23:38:33 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> why can't we just keep these symbols around without exporting them through a
> header file and make them simply forward to the global new/delete
> operators? If we don't export them in a header at least newly compiled code
> would stop using them, and old code would continue working like that.

The problem is not related to compilation and thus headers.

The problem is that the symbols *exist*. Since they exist, the linker will
link to them.

Now, the problem is that they exist under an ELF version, so when we remove
them, the dynamic linker will no longer find the plain unversioned ones in
libstdc++.so.6. I *think* it's possible to provide them under as special type
of version that allows the previous uses to be found, but no longer allow new
linking to them (non-default version). But since I don't have qtwebengine
around, I need information:

Does _Znwm appear with one or two @ ?