[Development] QtWebKit is coming back (part 2)

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Wed May 10 09:53:26 CEST 2017

Oswald Buddenhagen (4 May 2017 18:35)
> i'll say outright that you can't be part of the qt supermodule and yet
> have independent releases. while that was the plan once upon a time, the
> whole release infrastructure simply doesn't deliver, and even just
> diverging branch names are a pita (proved by enginio).

Can you elaborate on the pain here ?

I note, in particular, that we do have sub-sub-modules on branches with
eccentric names, or none (that is, what we use isn't obviously following
any branch I can see).  We seem to cope.  I do confess life would be
easier with uniform branch names, but git submodule should take care of
most complications,.

What would we need to do to our release infrastructure to make it cope
with (as originally planned) independent release cycles for distinct
components ?

	Eddy.