[Development] Introducing discussion about QStringFormatter

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Mon May 15 15:16:10 CEST 2017

On Monday 15 May 2017 14:49:19 MÃ¥rten Nordheim wrote:
> 1. Why do we [not] want QStringFormatter in the library?

con: already have enough formatters in Qt, better work on those than
introducing something else _again_.

pro: have too many formatters in Qt, add one that can encompass and replace
all of them

> 2. If QStringFormatter gets implemented, what are its hard requirements?

To reach the 'pro' above, imo these are essential:

Strictly More Featureful - Every formatting that can be implemented with the
  existing tools, QStringFormatter must support too.

Not Less Performant - For every formatting that can be implemented with the
  existing tools, QStringFormatter's version must not be slower.

> 3. What are its soft requirements?

Not Less Concise -  For every formatting that can be implemented with the
  existing tools, QStringFormatter's version must not be (much more) verbose.

Open For Extension - Users can add formatting for their own types (like
  QStringBuilder allows, but using documented API). QDateTime, etc support to
  be added as examples.

Compile-Time Checks - Like asprintf (on GCC) and QStringBuilder, the
  correctness is checked at compile-time (unlike arg()).

Blend In - It should interoperate with the existing formatters until such a
  day as it replaces them.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470