[Development] QUIP 6: removing top-level const from return types

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Mon May 22 19:42:05 CEST 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 12:04:10PM +0200, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Removing top-level const from return types is a QUIP-6 Cat-A SiC, but was
> missing from the examples.
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/195285 proposes to add it to the QUIP.

I'd like to postpone this discussion until we have clarified the
scope of QUIP-6.

I don't have a fundamental problem of allowing removal of toplevel
const in general, but I don't like to see wanton source incompatible
changes that "can be worked around in user code without introducing
Qt version checks" allowed, specifically not such that can behavioral
changes in user code, or such that provide no observable gain and
can easily be postponed until Qt 6.

I'll try to come up with a request to clarify the scope of the
QUIP, and depending on the outcome we could add removal of toplevel
const to e.g. a whitelist of acceptable changes.

I personally would not present my own changes as precedence for
acceptable changes in discussion on whether my changes are acceptable.

> Thanks,
> Marc

You are welcome.
Andre'