[Development] QList

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Thu May 25 13:53:43 CEST 2017

Op 25/05/2017 om 12:38 schreef Konstantin Tokarev:

> 25.05.2017, 02:19, "Ville Voutilainen" <ville.voutilainen at gmail.com>:

>>>  Which is why I suggested to make QList a type alias for QVector or
>>>  QArrayList, depending on some yet-to-be-determined criteria. Obvious
>>>  candidates algorithms are:
>> I think we need to take a serious step backwards here. I, for various reasons,
>> got the impression that a major problem at hand is that when a user (NOT in any
>> template code, necessarily) uses QList<Foo>, that user doesn't know the
>> consequences.
> Other problem, that IMO is more serious, is that Qt *requires* user to use QList,
> by returning or taking it as and argument in various places. That's almost only
> reason why I use QList in my code[*].
>
> If Qt 6 APIs are changed from QList to QVector, lots of user code dealing with
> this APIs will break, unless QList will become an alias of QVector.
>
> [*] And, fwiw, almost only reason I use QString, but that's off-topic here

I think you bring up a good point there. Would not the best way out be
to fix exactly this problem? If these functions would not return a
container, but some type of view into such a container, that would leave
users free to choose the type of container they need for their job
instead of being forced into the direction Qt choose for its API. A view
might take the form of a pair of iterators, a range, or perhaps even
some specialized class that basicaly wraps a pair or iterators and that
provides convenience functions to/from the Qt containers.

André