[Development] Please add [ChangeLog] entries to your commits!

Robin Burchell robin.burchell at crimson.no
Wed May 31 15:02:03 CEST 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017, at 02:50 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 02:38:53PM +0200, Robin Burchell wrote:
> > To me, it's implicit that each release will ideally have improvements in
> > terms of stability, so I think that there's less point in focusing on
> > them, unless they are a major newsworthy item: something like "sorry we
> > released 1.0.0 yesterday, but it turns out that feature foo was totally
> > broken, have 1.0.1 today to fix that" would be newsworthy, but "we fixed
> > a crash that has existed for the past 3 years" - less so, but that's my
> > own personal view.
> >
> the trolltech policy was to always add a changelog entry when there was a
> proper bug report. that seems reasonable, because there is (or at least
> was) somebody waiting for that fix.

Yes, however, if they are waiting for the fix, one would assume they are
also subscribed to the bug tracker, and presumably watching the bug.
They'll get a notification when the bug state changes (and a fix version
is added). I should note that I'm not opposed to mentioning more stuff,
I was just talking about my own editorial process when digging around
after stuff missing changelog entries.

--
  Robin Burchell
  robin at crimson.no