[Development] Dropping of MSVC 2013

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Wed Oct 18 08:35:17 CEST 2017

> On 18 Oct 2017, at 07:43, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 22:25:34 PDT Philippe wrote:
>>> We were. I'm asking for a quicker decision now, to decide whether I need
>>> invest time making QRandomGenerator deterministic mode work on MSVC 2013.
>>
>> Did you consider having a policy such as "Feature X is only available
>> for compilers that suports Y" ? (to use sparingly, of course)
>
> Yes. New features are allowed to appear ony on compilers that support certain
> C++ features.
>
> That's not an option for this case, since I'm trying to get rid of the qrand()
> uses and we need QRandomGenerator in QHash.

Since you need the patch to work on 5.10, I think we’ll need a workaround for VS2013.

Since this is replacing qrand(), and it’s only going to get used for one minor release (as I believe we should drop the compiler for 5.11), I’d be ok if it used the implementation that we had for qrand(), or something similar.

Lars