[Development] Future of QBS

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Wed Oct 18 09:21:52 CEST 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 06:35:39AM +0000, Jake Petroules wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2017, at 12:48 AM, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The leak:
> > Current Qt build system (qmake) leaks into Qbs via qbs-setup-qt.

qtc and qbs-setup-qt use qmake, because that's the authoritative source
of qt's installation information. every other correctly written
configure system is supposed to be doing that as well.

lots of other libraries come with their own foo-config tool, and nobody
would argue that there is a "leak" because of that.

and pkg-config is in fact a generalization of gnome-config, created by
splitting off the meta data from the tool. that's in fact extremely
similar to qbs' (and cmake's) modules.

> > QtC suffers from that as well, I wrote an email about that, when i
> > realised that QtC was indirectly executing the cross-compiler
> > defined in qmake's mkspec and found on the PATH instead of using the
> > one defined in the QtC kit. This is rather scary.

there is nothing "scary" about inheriting the compiler setting. it's an
entirely reasonable default that saves the user work and silly mistakes.

but that isn't even the point here - qtc *uses* qmake to do the actual
building of qmake-based projects, so *of course* it will use the
settings which qmake's architecture more or less forces on it.

> If I didn't say so before, this is entirely temporary. It will go away.
>
> I'm not sure about the Qt Creator case being referenced here, but if you can open a bug report that would be helpful.

there is no bug to be reported.