[Development] Adding Qt CoAP

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Sep 1 17:38:19 CEST 2017

On Friday, 1 September 2017 05:06:23 PDT Maurice Kalinowski wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Most of you might have noticed the IoT related discussion happening on this
> mailing list. If not, check here in the archive:
> http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2017-August/030723.html
>
> One of the items mentioned has been CoAP and that it would make a great
> addition to Qt. Interestingly, there has been discussions between the Qt
> Company and Witekio about exactly this topic. Thanks to the people at
> Witekio these resulted in actual code already available to get reviewed. To
> avoid any duplicate effort and have everyone participating as early as
> possible a new repository is needed.

Hi Maurice

That's great. As you may have seen from my emails, I am a great supporter of
CoAP and I'm really pleased that The Qt Company and others also think it's
worth having in Qt.

> Name of the project: Qt CoAP
>
> Responsible person:
> Cedric Amarger
> Gerrit user/email: Cedric Amarger <camarger at witekio.com>
> Desired repository name: qtcoap
>
> For now, I will leave any technical detail to Cedric.

I don't think we can discuss the format of such an implementation until we
have DTLS support. For one thing, it isn't clear to me that we'll have a
QDtlsSocket class in the first place, or whether it'll be a simple non-
QIODevice wrapper on top of QUdpSocket.

I'm also wondering if we shouldn't have a bigger repo for IoT-related things,
instead of creating a small one for each thing. Does it make sense to start
thinking of "qtiot" ? Then we could merge qtopcua in it and could also add
MQTT, DDS, DPS support and others.