[Development] QRandomGenerator and boot times

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Sep 15 17:21:22 CEST 2017

On Friday, 15 September 2017 00:31:36 PDT Sami Nurmenniemi wrote:
> I think we'll just have to accept blocking for the devices without
> hwrng. I don't know if we really support any such devices. If we do and
> boot time is essential for those, we'll have to figure out some way
> (probably saving entropy over reboot).

And that would be a non-Qt job. I wasn't worried about Qt on real devices
because I don't expect it to be run early enough to matter.  On VMs, that's
another story, and if you don't trust your undercloud-provided /dev/hwrng, why
are you using that cloud? (Though I'll say there's an Intel team working on
figuring out how a VM can get trust from the actual hardware, skipping the
hypervisor trust)

Anyway, I've read the entire Python thread to figure out what their conclusion
was. Turns out, after spending hours reading everything, the bug ends without
a conclusion. It must have been concluded, but it's not recorded in the bug
report!