[Development] [Google Summer of Code] [Project Ideas] Qt Quick Controls 2 Sailfish Silica Style

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Tue Apr 3 12:13:13 CEST 2018

Hi Alexey.

The controls look nice, but my concern is how relevant the Silica style is these days (in the context of how many people are developing apps for the Sailfish OS).

For each style we currently have, I would justify their inclusion into qtquickcontrols2.git for the following reasons:

Default - extremely high performance at the cost of a very basic appearance. Tries to be neutral in terms of looks.
Fusion - bridges the gap in terms of Desktop styling. An additional/more specific point that I think it is important here is that the controls are more compact (smaller) than any other pre-built style we offer (the Material style has a dense variant now, but that’s still larger if I recall correctly).
Imagine - puts power in the hands of designers, frees up time for developers.
Material - very relevant in terms of Android market share. Looks really nice; a good candidate for “non-native” cross-platform apps.
Universal - relevant in terms of Windows market share.

As mentioned, I do think the Silica controls look nice, but that’s the only justification I could think of for including them in qtquickcontrols2.git. For each new style we add, the maintenance cost increases, so this is something that we need to consider.

What is your opinion on this?

Cheers.