[Development] [Google Summer of Code] [Project Ideas] Qt Quick Controls 2 Sailfish Silica Style

Alexey Andreyev yetanotherandreyev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 14:13:56 CEST 2018

Hi, Aleksey Kontsevich! Thank you for your support, I do agree that
Sailfish OS is receiving a huge contribution from Russian speaking
developers and focusing on other local markets too. There's also related
AsteroidOS community about smartwatches. They have a demo [1]

Talking about popularity: from my point of view, while Microsoft is
providing their Metro unified look for desktop and Intel-based tablets (and
Xbox) for example, looks like they do not have any plans for new mobile
devices (I mean arm-based) to provide. While Sailfish OS is mobile OS with
GSM-stack support for real arm-based systems. [1] Correct me if I'm wrong,
I do not want to mislead anyone.

Mitch Curtis, thank you for your feedback sincerely. I do understand your
skepticism about yet another controls in mainline to support. (but I do not
share this personally :)
I'm new to qqc2 internals. I've cloned qtquickcontrols2 repo 5.10.1 brach
(to play on my Arch Linux system). Dependency from some private APIs looks
tricky for me at first glance. I'm trying to sort out. I'm not against
providing silica style as some custom repo, the result I want to get is
open source solution to run Qt application in my personal environment with
native Silica look and feel. Will be happy to get any hints about basic
repo draft in that case (should I look at Kirigami approach?)

Anyway, as I wrote at my GSoC proposal, GSoC campaign is just money
support, I love Silica style, using Sailfish OS for several years and can't
stand that no one is willing to port it to modern QQC2 approach :) I guess
it could radically change skepticism about qt quick controls approach in
general from ios and android developers.

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd86KTs2Les
[2]: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris