[Development] How to run QtBase autotests on a remote machine?

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Wed Apr 11 14:06:43 CEST 2018

Alexander Richardson (11 April 2018 10:13)
> I am currently trying to get Qt to work on the CHERI CPU
> (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/ctsrd/cheri/cheri-faq.html)

Sounds interesting.

> I have now managed to get the first few unit tests to build and run as
> CHERI pure capability programs

Impressive :^>

> so I would like to run the full test suite.

Makes sense.

> Currently I build the tests and then scp individual tst_foo binaries
> to the host and run them manually. In order to fix the initial porting
> problems that will show up in most tests this is fine.

Some tests shall need more than the binary; e.g. data files to act on.

> Is there any existing mechanism to run the unit tests on a machine
> other than the compilation host?

I hope so - does anyone know how we test on Android, iOS or any other
cross-compilation target ?  Or do we even support testing on them ?

> I have noticed that there is a target_wrapper.sh script in every test
> directory. Can that be modified to execute scp and ssh to run the test
> remotely?

That sounds like a promising line of enquiry - except that I can't find
where we generate target_wrapper.sh - the word target_wrapper doesn't
appear to exist in our source tree (aside from a couple of .gitignore
files).  If you can find what creates these scripts, hacking it would be
one way to go.  However, finding out how we test on other
cross-compilation platforms may save you a whole lot of work ...

	Eddy.