[Development] qdds image format

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Sun Apr 15 17:59:45 CEST 2018

Il 15/04/2018 17:32, Иван Комиссаров ha scritto:
> Hello, what happened to the qdds image plugin?
> I found the note in the docs: "For security reasons, the Direct Draw
> Surface (DDS) handler is not built by default since Qt 5.8" but could
> not find any open issues.
> Does anyone know what are those "security reasons"?

The usual amount of parsing a file without doing bounds checks, so
making the user vulnerable to crashes / code execution / overflows and
the like.

> What need to be done to return the plugin to the default build?

Build it yourself; as far as I know it's still shipped as part of
qtimageformats.

Apart from the quality of the implementation, there is close to zero
reasons to use DDS as an image format plugin in Qt: a DDS file
represents a texture, not an image (so the generic access through
QImageReader isn't enough), and QImage can't represent the formats that
you can store in a DDS anyhow.

Note that the above has nothing to do with DDS support in Qt3D, which
has never used the image format plugin.

Hope this helps,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts