[Development] Qt 5.12 schedule proposal & proposal for release process change

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Mon Apr 16 11:25:06 CEST 2018

Tuukka Turunen (16 April 2018 08:59)
> I very much like continuous flow of snapshots.

I don't think anyone is challenging that part of the plan.
The only objection to the plan has been to the change in naming.

> Sometimes we have a tendency to fall into a "let's wait and get still
> this one fix in" mode, which is very inefficient. It is beneficial
> when making .x patch releases and the fix is for a regression. But in
> other situations, it is typically more important to have a frequent
> flow of releases.

Frequency of builds is orthogonal to how we name them.
Build early, build often.  That is good.
Make the status of each build clear by tagging it alpha, beta or RC if
it meets the criteria Thiago gave.
Number them any way you like, but keep these distinctions.
They are useful to consumers.

	Eddy.