[Development] Google Summer of Code 2018

Mohammed Nafees hello at mnafees.me
Fri Apr 20 05:29:21 CEST 2018

Hello,

I am Mohammed Nafees, a 2nd year CS student at the University of Waterloo and I had applied to GSoC 2018 for The Qt Project to work on porting Qt to IncludeOS. Earlier today I was notified that my project has not been selected by the mentors as one of the projects for GSoC 2018. I  was notified that there were 2 slots given and one was selected for Qt Creator related project and the other was selected for Qt, in general. My project was for Qt and the selection process between me and another project was a coin flip. I find this criterion of selection absolutely ridiculous, I'm sorry.

First of all, organisations can ask Google to increase their number of slots. There was especially a date set just for that in the timeline. Secondly, I was the one to notify on the IRC channel that the Ideas URL for the organisation in GSoC's website was wrong. I helped change it to the actual one. I am a Qt veteran and have been using it for the past 5+ years. I am a former Google Code-in champion and a GSoC 2017 alumnus. I have the right to be disappointed because I was the one overjoyed about seeing The Qt Project in this year's GSoC.

I am highly disappointed by how you have rejected my project based on a coin flip. I was looking forward to work for my favorite toolkit so much so that I did not apply to any other organisation.

Nafees.