[Development] Fornux C++ Superset

Phil Bouchard philippeb8 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 03:46:05 CEST 2018

On 04/23/2018 09:29 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday, 23 April 2018 18:08:19 PDT Phil Bouchard wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Because Qt is very powerful, I would like to clarify the importance of
>> the following problems despite my previous informal attempts:
>> - The recent Qt 5.10.1 still randomly crashes for apps written on the
>> iPhone and for the Android as well.
>
> Do we have bug reports for those? I doubt the crashes are random, they only
> appear to be. They are likely very deterministic and most of them are easy to
> fix, if the issue is in Qt.

I programmed a Facebook-like interface where I scroll up and down very
fast and it ends up crashing. I can try to get a backtrace on the iOS
and file a bug report. But that's a head's up.

>> - QML is an interpreted language thus it can be reverse engineered and
>> plagiarized quite easily.
>
> There's a QML compiler.

Which is great but does it compile the Javascript code as well?

>> As you know 1 crash makes your application worthless. Those are facts,
>> whether today's mainstream developers like it or not.
>
> Those are not the facts. I've seen Windows, Linux and macOS operating system
> crashes. Those are hardly worthless. They're worth billions. My apps on my
> phone crash sometimes too, and yet I still use them.

Remember when Wordperfect kept crashing in Windows 3.1 for some strange
reason back in the days? People ended up using MS Word. The same with
Netscape...

>> I have a solution that solves those problems and it's called: "Fornux
>> C++ Superset":
>
> I doubt it.

As you know I have tested it with a much more complex software called:
"libarchive" and it works flawlessly:
https://github.com/philippeb8/libarchive/commit/5858b5c047301123ffdf05f247f7d191829d5a9b

>> - Fornux C++ Superset harnesses the power of Clang.
>
> Does it mean other compilers are not supported? That's a showstopper.

No it's just a Clang-based layer that injects complex C++ code into
existing C & C++98 projects. You can use any C++11 compiler to compile
the resulting code.

Regards,
-Phil