[Development] Fornux C++ Superset

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Apr 24 07:51:26 CEST 2018

On Monday, 23 April 2018 22:35:36 PDT Phil Bouchard wrote:

> >> Which is great but does it compile the Javascript code as well?
> >
> > Yes, to an extent.
>
> Okay but one way or the other it'll always use the garbage collector as
> a backend.

Correct. But that has nothing to do with your argument of reverse engineering.

> > My point is: I doubt that you have solved all crashes. You have not. Your
> > framework may be a huge improvement over a lot of techniques people use
> > today, but your claims are not believable. You should be more precise in
> > your wording.
>
> Here are the different ways to make an application crash:
> http://forum.codecall.net/topic/71995-understanding-memory-leaks-and-crashes
> -in-c/

Dereferencing dangling pointers is not the only way to cause crashes. In fact,
depending on when it happens, that usually has no effect.

Memory overruns cause way more problems. Your solution won't fix that.

Use of uninitialised memory almost always causes immediate crashes. Your
solution won't fix that because, by definition, those cause *because* they
happened before your solution. There's always more code that you need to
interface with, so unless you convert EVERYTHING to a safe language (and you
won't), you won't fix all crashes.

Crashes also happen because of use of improper instructions. That has nothing
to do with memory.

> - The code that was modified by the parser interacts perfectly well with
> system headers or external libraries that weren't modified at all.

Which can crash.

> The generated code keeps headers that aren't part of your project as
> include statements so your compiler / cross-compiler will expand these
> headers normally.

I can tell you right now Qt is not interested in switching languages.