[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 16:40:10 CEST 2018

On 1 August 2018 at 11:24, Jason Newton <nevion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And... seriously, *Java*?! Talk about bloat-ware... As dependencies for
>> *a build tool* go, that's pretty insane. Especially if you're not
>> planning to use it to build Java code.
>
> As I said, ~300-400 megabytes for a JRE (~90MiB DL), in particular
> openjdk , prospectively in a development environment where you've got
> devel headers and packages installed.   The cost of the dependency is
> neither bloat nor unbounded, it really is just that size on a machine
> that's prepared to build software in 2018.  Please explain what issue
> this presents.

The prospect of having to install a JRE to build Qt or eventually Qt
applications
solicits a fairly loud "I think I'll pass" from me. I don't use java
for anything. Having
it around for a supposedly simple and easy-to-adopt build system is a cost
that I am not eager to pay. Do we expect to package a JRE with Qt? Do we
expect a JRE to be a package dependency of Qt for distro vendors?