[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 18:33:40 CEST 2018

On 2018-08-02 09:03, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 10:33:43AM -0400, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>>
>>> This is an option, you can keep it in a preference file, or you can
>>> use it as a command line switch to not use this.
>>
>> ...and how many naïve users that "just want to build Qt" are going to
>> know about that?
>>
> and why exactly would a user who doesn't care ... care?

...because building Qt just spawned a process that is never going to
terminate, is going to sit around pointlessly monitoring their file
system, and is going to potentially cause who-knows-what issues?

If I want to just download and build some package (i.e. I'm not
*actively developing* that software), doing so shouldn't "infect" my
machine with zombie processes. When the build is done, it should be *done*.

> it's not that i *like* big dependencies, but there is a trade-off to be
> made, and bazel is *by far* the most advanced build tool on the market
> today when it comes to optimizing rebuilds of massive projects

...which is *totally irrelevant* to everyone that is not a Qt developer.
Just like software is written once and read many times, it is developed
by a few and deployed by many. Optimizing for development *at the
expense* of deployment strikes me as... questionable. If the penalty to
deployment cost was minimal, that would be one thing, but with bazel, it
isn't.

--
Matthew