[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Thu Aug 2 19:36:11 CEST 2018

02.08.2018, 19:50, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
> On Thursday, 2 August 2018 07:16:18 PDT Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>>  Unfortunately, Debian does not use cross-compilation for building packages
>
> Which is unfortunately the case for most (if not all) Linux distributions as a
> significant number of frameworks and applications don't cross compile at all.
> So they need to compile on target.

Do you have any prominent examples? I'm working on embedded software for 8 years,
me and my colleagues have dealt with various open source packages, we've never needed
to resort to compilation on target or qemu environment.

There are cross-compiled embedded distros like Buildroot which include thousands of
packages.

> Sometimes it's an option to use an emulated environment (qemu), but often
> that's even slower than on target. A hybrid approach that runs under qemu and
> runs a native cross compiler disguised as a target compiler is also possible,
> but not easy to achieve.
>
> --
>   Software Architect - Intel Open Source Technology Center

Regards,
Konstantin