[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

BogDan Vatra bogdan at kdab.com
Fri Aug 3 08:42:08 CEST 2018

În ziua de joi, 2 august 2018, la 18:06:02 EEST, Thiago Macieira a scris:
> On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 23:13:13 PDT BogDan Vatra via Development wrote:
> > > Now that is nice, as we know that the moc, uic, rcc outputs are
> > > platform-
> > > independent. That should help reduce the build times on Windows for
> > > debug-and- release builds, as running moc is a significant portion of
> > > the
> > > build time.
> > >
> >   It will be nice if this feature is mandatory for Qt 6, so let's add it
> >
> > your requirements list.
>
> No, this is "nice to have", not mandatory. A reduction in build time would
> be very welcome, but if we don't have it, the build still works.
>
> >   BTW, not only moc, uic & rcc are platform-independent, but also the
> >
> > headers (except a few that are generated by configure script which can be
> > moved to platform libs dir). What will be cool really is to unify headers,
> > examples & demos for the Qt SDKs, this way we'll save a lot of space.
>
> Sorry, I didn't get it. Can you clarify?

Sorry it's kinda off-topic. What I wanted to say is for Qt 6 to have a new SDK
folders layout. Now each Qt target goes into a separate folder, but the bin,
include (except a few files), doc, mkspecs, etc. folders are the same. The
only platform-dependent folders are lib, plugins and qml.
So, instead of:

~/Qt
    /5.11.1
      /android_armv7
        /bin
	/include
	/lib
      /gcc_64
        /bin
	/include
	/lib

we'll have:

~/Qt
    /6.0.0
      /bin
      /include
      /lib
         /android_armv7 <-- here goes android armv7 libs
            /include <-- here goes only android specific headers
        /gcc_64 <-- here goes linux amd64 libs
           /include <-- here goes only  linux 64 specific headers

Platform specific headers are those that are generated by configure script.
Of curse the build system must handle this new layout.

Cheers,
BogDan.