[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Aug 3 16:50:29 CEST 2018

On Thursday, 2 August 2018 23:46:07 PDT Jason Newton wrote:
> From OpenSUSE build service, here is the build time for the full
> OpenJDK 8 build
> https://build.opensuse.org/public/build/Java:Factory/openSUSE_Leap_15.0/x86_
> 64/java-1_8_0-openjdk/_log - 1976 seconds with what appears to be a single
> threaded build.  It
> should be possible to considerably lean this down.
>
> For control, here is qt5's build file
> https://build.opensuse.org/public/build/KDE:Qt:5.11/openSUSE_Leap_15.0/x86_6
> 4/libqt5-qtbase/_log clocking in 2455s

You're not going to convince a bunch of C++ developers to use a Java
buildsystem. The solution you're proposing would need to be an order of
magnitude better on everything else for that to be acceptable. And so far we
have found it to be (subjectively) worse than the others.

As for distros, Qt is usually on the critical build path, due to its size.
Doubling the build time by inserting a dependency of equal size is not going
to make you friends.