[Development] Closing issues automatically with new keyword

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Fri Aug 10 19:26:54 CEST 2018

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 03:57:31PM +0200, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2018, at 15:14, Oswald Buddenhagen <oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io> wrote:
> > secondly, as your own caveat highlights, you need to encode and
> > maintain policy in the script to make that work.
>
> Starting to use the Fixes: tag at all is a policy, and writing code
> that reacts to it amounts to encoding a policy.  It’s not the first
> script which does something like that.

yes, but it's bad engineering to hard-code the policy if it's implicitly
available from somewhere else as data.

> > thirdly, your proposed heuristics are wrong, because there is a window
> > of time where changes integrated into dev do *not* target the next minor
> > release (or a pre-release thereof): the time between the final downmerge
> > form dev and the actual release.
>
> The window between the first creation of a new branch (on Monday) and
> the final merge from dev to that branch (a week from Monday) is more
> of a concern;

> during that time we have a 5.12 branch (assuming we check the highest
> branch rather than tag) but changes to dev are still for 5.12.

that's completely true. how is that a concern?

> Maybe read .qmake.conf then?

you just topped yourself: now we not only read the git repo's meta data,
but also its content, to extract data in a format that is bound to the
current version of a certain subset of the repositories.
also, this won't work, because the contents of these files intentionally
lag the downmerges - just in case somebody comes to request another
downmerge in some repo, because they've been living under a rock and
missed the deadline (happens on a somewhat regular basis).