[Development] Upgrade the XCode running in the CI's macOS 10.11

Morten Sørvig Morten.Sorvig at qt.io
Wed Aug 22 10:52:31 CEST 2018

> On 9 Jul 2018, at 02:15, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> This is the second time I've run into a compiler bug with that XCode's ancient
> Clang.
>
> Can we please upgrade the XCode installation there to the latest available for
> macOS 10.11?
>
> If that's the latest, can we declare that building Qt on 10.11 is no longer
> supported for Qt 5.12? I'm not asking about deployment, only building.

Yes, let’s drop support for the older clang versions.

There are some other aspects to take into account as well:

- As mentioned above, we want to drop support for outdated compilers for new Qt releases.

- We want to deploy to a relativly wide range of macOS platforms. Current - 2. If the minimum deployment target for the LTS releases is fixed, then older macOS versions stay relevant.

- We can require that developers stay reasonably up to date: current +/- 1.

- We are now seeing that older Qt versions are not going to support newer SDKs, since Apple is using the build SDK version to enable new behaviors (for example dark mode and CA layers on 10.14). This means the max supported SDK version for e.g. Qt 5.9 is the 10.13 SDK.

- On the other hand we would like to build the 5.12 binary package with the 10.14 SDK in order to make use of new API.

- Can we mix and match compiler and SDK versions? Empiricism shows that it’s the final app link SDK that gates the enabled features, so it might not matter exactly which SDK the Qt binary package is built against for this purpose.

- CI system support for building on one platform version and deploying/testing on others is still on the wish list :)

Morten