[Development] Windows 7 support future removal

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Aug 24 08:24:02 CEST 2018

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 23:11:09 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> We know that quite some users stay on unsupported versions of Windows for
> quite a while. I wonder whether it wouldn’t be easiest in this case to then
> drop Windows 7 with Qt 6.0 in Autumn 2020 (ie. in the release after 5.15).

I don't mind either way. I just wanted to bring the topic up.

I don't think we have much that requires Windows 8 or 8.1, which would result
in any meaningful clean up of our source code if we were to drop Windows 7.
We'd get rid of a few GetProcAddresses, but not a lot.

And considering that Windows 10 still has a smaller market share than
Windows 7 today, three years after Windows 10 TH1 came out (see CW link in the
other email), you're probably right.

PS: I don't believe Qt 6.0 will be in the Autumn of 2020. More likely early
2021.

PPS: had anyone noticed we had THREE minor releases of Qt in 2017? 5.8
(Jan 20), 5.9 (May 29) and 5.10 (Dec 5).