[Development] iMX6 EGLGS 2D (QtWidgets) painting acceleration

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 30 16:50:41 CEST 2018

On Thursday, 30 August 2018 06:09:22 PDT Uwe Rathmann wrote:
> Furthermore nobody seems to be interested in working on the OpenGL paint
> engine

That paint engine was always experimental and the experiment concluded. There
were two important conclusions:
 a) retrofitting paint events on top of OpenGL is hard and not efficient, plus
   it was not pixel-perfect
 b) proper OpenGL integration requires a stack designed with OpenGL in mind

The result of (b) is a retained-mode scene graph. It's in the QtQuick library.

> From my experience with the QSkinny project I'm tempted to say that it
> would even be possible to implement the Qt/Widgets API on top of Qt/Quick
> core.

So long as you ditch the paint event for most of the classes, leaving the
QQuickPaintedItem (or whatever it's called) only for the cases where it's
truly needed.