[Development] Another integer typedef OR how to prepare for 64-bit in Qt 5

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Sun Dec 2 22:29:35 CET 2018

(Jumping in a rather old thread...)

Il 02/11/18 09:52, Lars Knoll ha scritto:
> The size mismatch warnings users will get in Qt 6 are IMO not a huge issue. The narrowing to a smaller size does not break compatibility, as long as no container overflows in size (which it couldn’t  with code based on Qt 5).
>

> So my vote actually goes for option 4. We introduce a central type that’s int in Qt 5, qsizetype in Qt 6, and start using it. That allows us to introduce it then class by class and fix any issues we find around it.

Has anyone actually tried changing size_type to a 64bit datatype, and
checking how many warnings start appearing in user code? (E.g. just try
with QString, QList, QVector; and build Creator, or some KDE libs). I've
got the gut feeling that it will be an absolutely gigantic number,
especially on Windows...

Thanks,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts