[Development] Another integer typedef OR how to prepare for 64-bit in Qt 5

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 19:17:12 CET 2018

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 at 20:11, Marco Bubke <Marco.Bubke at qt.io> wrote:

> To quote the standard committee meeting:
>
> "There was an evening discussion on the signedness of std::span’s size method return type. The result: we’ll change std::span’s size return type from signed to unsigned, and add a std::ssize free function that can be used to get the size of a container as a signed value."

Minor correction: that's not from an evening session, the committee is
moving to a direction where decisions are not made in evening
sessions.
Such a decision was, however, made in a daytime session with a large
group consisting of much more than just LEWG.

The relevant part is this:

Option 4: add std::ssize() alongside std::size(), change span::size()
to unsigned, no additional members. (P1227, reduced)
7/18/12/5/6

I did clarify whether this option had consensus, because if no option
would've, we would've stayed with the status quo:

VV: Does option 4 have consensus?
TW: 25 to 11--yes.