[Development] Another integer typedef OR how to prepare for 64-bit in Qt 5

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 21:02:05 CET 2018

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 at 21:55, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 4 December 2018 10:43:31 PST Bernhard Lindner wrote:
> > Then let me rephrase my opionen: What every you plan to change regarding
> > size types in Qt6... do it the standard (C++20?) way.
>
> We're doing it the way the committee says it should have done in the first
> place, not the way it has done: signed.

A *very* big part of why span's size is being changed to unsigned is
consistency, rather than the committee thinking
that unsigned is necessarily the right kind of type. There's some
ongoing work to alleviate the compatibility issues
between signed and unsigned types, but that work will most likely not
bear fruit in time for C++20.