[Development] Preventing link rot in Qt docs

Richard Weickelt richard at weickelt.de
Fri Dec 7 22:56:43 CET 2018

On 07.12.2018 18:09, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development wrote:
> Il 07/12/18 13:46, Sze Howe Koh ha scritto:
>> This is a problem because the Qt docs are heavily cited in the forums,
>> the wiki, and external sites like StackOverflow.
>
> As an add-on, keep the documentation online, but use properly versioned
> URLs, so that these breaks never happen. (Of course one could have a big fat
> warning on top of earlier versions saying that one is reading an old version
> of the docs.)

This is already the case:

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/android.html
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5.12/android.html
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5.11/android-support.html

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/android-getting-started.html
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5.12/android-getting-started.html
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5.11/androidgs.html

But I agree with Sze-Howe: It would be convenient if renaming pages would
also include replacing the old URL by a 301 redirect to the new one.

Richard